New STEM-certified schools recognized
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Education has increased the number of STEM-certified schools, a designation that recognizes a school’s commitment to science, technology, engineering and math programs.
“An education built upon science, technology, engineering, and mathematics is vital for academic success and life beyond high school,” said Superintendent of Public Instruction Jennifer McCormick in announcing that now a total of 78 schools are STEM-certified.
“Along with great partners in our schools and the classroom, Indiana has prioritized STEM activities each and every day. I am grateful for the student-focused passion exemplified by our STEM Certified schools and I want to commend our 2019 schools for furthering Indiana’s dedication to STEM.”
The Department of Education first selected STEM-certified schools in 2015 based on a commitment to teaching STEM subjects throughout the system. The schools exemplify a non-traditional approach to education, employing project-based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, integration into humanities and related arts, and out-of-school STEM activities.
STEM-certified schools have completed a rigorous application and review process. The following is a list of 2019 STEM-certified schools:
- Benton Elementary School – Fairfield Community Schools
- Bridgeport Elementary School – MSD Wayne Township
- Cold Spring School – Indianapolis Public Schools
- Crichfield Elementary School – LaPorte Community School Corporation
- Edgewood Primary School – Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation
- Forest Park Elementary School – Clay Community Schools
- Mary Evelyn Castle Elementary School – MSD Lawrence Township
- Millersburg Elementary-Middle School – Fairfield Community Schools
- New Paris Elementary School – Fairfield Community Schools
- Southport Elementary School – Perry Township Schools
- Tri-Central Elementary School – Tri-Central Community Schools
- Unionville Elementary School- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- Avon Intermediate School East – Avon Community School Corporation
- Ben Davis High School – MSD Wayne Township
- Edgewood Intermediate School – Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation
- Henry W. Longfellow Medical/STEM Middle School #28 – Indianapolis Public Schools
- Loogootee High School – Loogootee Community School District
- Plainfield Community Middle School – Plainfield Community School Corporation
To view a complete list of Indiana STEM Certified schools, visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indianas-stem-certified-schools. For more information on IDOE’s efforts to increase STEM education across the state, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indiana-stem-education-science-technology-engineering-and-mathematics.
TheStatehouseFile.com is a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students.